Halloween has become one of the most popular holidays that brings people together. From the trick or treat game played by the kids to carving pumpkins, people celebrate it in different parts of the world, including the US. Halloween 2019 will be celebrated on October 31, 2019. Before you light a bonfire or eat sweet treats, have a look at its history and know how to celebrate Halloween 2019 at an office.
Halloween originated with Samhain, an ancient Celtic festival in which people wore costumes and lighted bonfires to keep the ghosts away. Pope Gregory III designated November 1 as Saints Day to honor all saints. The evening before the Saints Day was known as All Hallows Eve which was later changed as Halloween. The festivities became a vital part of the US in the second half of the 19th century when America was flooded with immigrants, many of which were Irish fleeing the Potato Famine.
With time, Halloween has become more popular than Saints Day thanks to various activities like trick or treat, festive gatherings, donning scary costumes, carving jack-o-lanterns, and eating sweet treats.
How to Celebrate Halloween at the Office?
Halloween is a fun festival a boss can use to engage employees and strengthen team bonds. If you want the same here are a few interesting things you can do to celebrate Halloween 2019 at the office.
- Hold a costume contest and let your employees pick the scary attires to come to the office a day before Halloween.
- Donate to a charity and encourage your employees to do the same. If not money, your employees should also have the option to donate their time, food, etc.
- Encourage the boding between different departments by organizing departmental trick-or-treat
- Organize a pumpkin carving content to let your employees reveal their hidden talents. Offer a reward to make things more interesting and the pumpkins more appealing.
- Hold an informal award event and give out fun awards like the scariest boss, etc. Ensure that no one is made fun of or insulted, and everything is done in a light-hearted manner.